January 28, 2012

Keratosis Pilaris - Chicken Skin, Stinks.

"Keratosis pilaris (KP, also follicular keratosis) is a common, autosomal dominant, genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin. It most often appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms (though the lower arms can also be affected), and can also occur on the thighs, hands, and tops of legs, flanks, buttocks, or any body part except glabrous skin (like the palms or soles of feet)."

Since KP is a genetic condition, it's fairly common and can be extremely hard to treat. KP affects an estimated 40% of the adult population and approximately 50%-80% of all teens. It is more common in women than in men. Most dermatologists recommend expensive prescriptions (lots of money, tiny tubes) or drugstore cleansers and moisturizers like CeraVe. I've tried the gamut and found that exfoliating acids work much better than any of the aforementioned products. I've struggled with the condition since around age 12. I've only started to get a handle on it in the last year or so. I know how frustrating it can be. Wanting to wear sleeveless shirts in the summer- but having red bumps up and down your arms and knees. It can be limiting and at times feel like a hopeless battle, because most of the treatments recommended simply do not work.

I just want to share what has been making a steady difference in
my KP. I am now using:
- Dermalogica Body Buffing cloth
- Neutrogena Clear Body Scrub
- Image Skincare Spa Rejuvenating Body Lotion
- Image Skincare glycolic/retinol peels every week or so

These three products have made the biggest difference in my skin. The 2% salicylic acid in the body wash combined with the 10% gylcolic (and other great ingredients) in the body lotion have made my skin soft, smooth, and reduced redness dramatically. The buffing cloth is a great tool for those who struggle with KP if used properly. You don't want to try and scrub your skin away- but a gentle daily buffing, if followed by intense moisture, really smooths out the skin. It also lets your lotion/treatment absorb and work better. I have recently started doing my own glycolic/retinol peels (because I am a licensed esthetician) and they work amazingly well!! Soft, clear, smooth, and even toned skin. I will do a blog post on that in the future. Also, if anyone finds an enzyme exfoliant in a large quantity for a reasonable price let me know, because that would also be a great treatment for KP.

Please be encouraged to share your thoughts, struggles, or regimens!




No comments:

Post a Comment